Monday, May 27, 2013

Homeward Bound

We had a very warm send-off from the staff at Ibny. The kids enjoyed the final craft and the teachers said good-bye with affection. I didn’t expect western-style hugs, but I collected a few along with the traditional continental-style busses on both cheeks. We did shed some tears and spent a few minutes throwing kisses to the kids on our way out the door.

If I had it to do again, I’d ask the teachers if there were goals that they had for the kids that we could help achieve, but I kids seem to learn with each new activity.

There were three of us at the placement (all Lilly) and it was a pleasure working with Michael and Sergio—two guys willing to try anything and who made sure that they spent quality time with the kids, often picking a table and just sitting there and coloring.
Nowadays I dread travel, especially travel with more than two stops…but we were able to travel to some stops with folks in the program. Our shared experiences made it a pleasure to have each other to talk to from city to city. We had no problems on the road though that 8 ½ hour flight from Paris to Detroit found me some muscles and aches and pains that I didn’t know I had.

Home isn't the same, after living with twenty others in a different culture…home doesn't seem the same. The shock really occurred when we went to the grocery. In Morocco, produce came directly from the farm, chickens were alive in the morning and were purchased, killed, dressed, and cooked by dinner time. I found myself wandering around the store amazed at the difference in approach to food in Morocco and the United States. In Morocco there were wonderful fresh fruits and vegetables (I’ve never eaten better honeydew melons) most looking better than what I saw in our grocery. I found myself vowing to choose the healthier fresher alternatives. I’m trying some Moroccan dishes, pickling lemons and baking some bread (to start).

1 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

Glad you had such a great trip and are safe home again!

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home